Home staging tips
- Clean everything in home to make it spotless.
- Keep all your traffic areas clear.
- Open all blinds and curtains to let light in.
- Fresh flowers on table.
- Reduce/remove family photos, sports trophies, collectibles, knick-knacks and souvenirs.
- Declutter. Have a yard sale or take old furniture, clothing and knick-knacks to Goodwill. Organize shelves, put away items and purge your home of unnecessary items.
- Clear kitchen and bathroom counters to be free of small appliances and personal effects.
- Remove some furniture from all rooms but especially smaller rooms.
- Paint all rooms with strong colors a neutral color.
- Remove half of your closet contents.
- Have fresh flowers on kitchen table.
- Clean all windows and mirrors.
- Keep path to all windows, furnace, appliances clear.
- Remove all signs of pets such as litter box and food dishes.
- Smokers don't smoke inside while house is for sale.
- Add color with new throw pillows.
- Have your fireplace fully operational all year.
When house is being shown to buyers:
- Leave the house.
- Turn on soft easy listening music on all floors.
- Turn lights on in every room regardless of time of day.
- Take out your pets and all signs of your pet such as litter box and dishes.
- Turn off TV unless using for music.
- Don't cook food with strong odors such as fish or garlic the day of a showing.
- Bake cookies or bread.
- In winter turn fireplace/woodstove on.
- In winter make sure all driveways, walkways and steps are totally free of ice and snow.
- In summer open windows to let in fresh air.
© Copyright Sandy and Judy Hines. 2015