RCMP Real Estate Buyers
IRP Frequently Asked Questions

Sandy and Judy Hines

RCMP IRP Frequently Asked Questions


Question: I haven't sold my house here. Can I go on my HHT trip before it sells?

Answer: Probably not. There are situations where you can get permission but in most cases you will have to sell your home first. It is really not a good idea to go on a HHT until you are in a position to buy a house in your new location. We have had members come on their HHT before their house sold and ended up having to take a second HHT and pay for it themselves.


Question: What is a usual closing date in the Halifax area?

Answer: 6 weeks to two months but it varies depending on time of year. In January until June we see a lot of sellers who would like to close end of June so closing dates could be a little longer.


Question: How far ahead of my transfer date should I plan my house hunting trip?

Answer: 8-9 weeks would be a good time given the fact that the average closing date is 6 weeks to two months here.


Question: If I take a 5 year mortgage and am moved before the end of the term I will have a prepayment penalty. These used to be covered by the RCMP but are not now. How do I handle this?

Answer: Several banks and other lenders have decided to waive the prepayment penalties for RCMP buyers. You should use a mortgage broker who can advise you which lenders waive the penalty. You should only take a mortgage out from one of the lenders that waive the penalty.

The policy states that I will only be reimbursed on my expenses if I buy a property under 1.25 acres ( 54,450 sq ft). Many properties in HRM are over this size. What can I do?

Answer: There is absolutely no problem with you buying a property here that is over 1.25 acres or 54,450 sq ft. However if you buy a property that is larger than 1.25 acres then you will have to provide written proof that the size is required by the municipality. What you will require will depend on your IRP rep. Most will accept a letter from us stating that the lot size is normal for the area and is required to be that size because it has a septic system. Some will require a letter from the municipality stating that the property conforms with zoning by laws. If you require this letter from the municipality there is a cost of between $60 and $100 to you and this cost will not be reimbursed. If you are considering buying in the outskirts of HRM you should ask your IRP rep what they will require from you.

Question: Should I do a house inspection and does RCMP Relocation over it?

Answer: Yes. There may certain circumstances where the inspection is not covered but in all sales when I have been involved the inspection was covered. You must use an approved inspector. The inspector bills Brookfield directly so you don't need to pay up front. We are very aware of the approved inspectors and can help you choose. You will need to provide the inspector with the name and phone number of your Brookfield rep.


Question: Are there any other inspections I should do?

Answer: Yes If the property is on a well and has a septic you will need to test these as well. You will test the well to make sure that the levels of bacteria, arsenic and uranium are within allowable limits. This is a requirement for your mortgage. You should also do a Flow Test on the well to determine how much water the well is currently producing. Finally you should do a septic inspection. All these inspections will be covered by the RCMP but you must ask the house inspector to recommend these tests in the inspection report and then you will give this report to your RCMP Relocation  rep. You will have to pay for these up front and submit your receipts to Brookfield for repayment.


Question: My house hunting trip is a week. How many days should I spend actually looking for a house?

Answer: It takes about a day to negotiate a deal. The inspection could be a couple of days to set up. You should leave a day or so in case something goes wrong. If you've done some research ahead of time a couple of good days usually will be enough to reach the offer stage.


Question: If I find a house on the internet and want more information can you email me more details?

Answer: Yes. We  have the ability to email listings with more details than is available on the net. I can also set you up so you will be emailed all new MLS® listings that fit your requirements as soon as they are posted on MLS®. This may be up to a  day ahead of  the public MLS site at Realtor.ca.


Question: What do you do for me when I come to town?

Answer: We will try to clear our schedule from when you arrive until you leave. Our goal is to find you a good house in the time you are here. We totally understand the time crunch you are under and will work hard with you to find you a home as quickly as possible. We will recommend inspectors and lawyers that are on your IRP approved list. We will setup all necessary inspections that you will require. We've done this many times so we know what you need.


Question: How do I request information from you?

Answer: If you would like for me to send you a Home Buyer's Package go to the Request Homebuyers Package Section of the Buyers section of this website and fill out the request form.

Request an RCMP Home Buyers Package by clicking here :

© Copyright Sandy and Judy Hines. All information,within this site including photos and information can only be used with written authorization from Sandy or Judy Hines. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. 2015.