Staging a Home
For Sale in Halifax
Home staging tips
- Clean everything in home to make it spotless.
- Keep all your traffic areas clear.
- Open all blinds and curtains to let light in.
- Fresh flowers on table.
- Reduce/remove family photos, sports trophies, collectibles, knick-knacks and souvenirs.
- Declutter. Have a yard sale or take old furniture, clothing and knick-knacks to Goodwill. Organize shelves, put away items and purge your home of unnecessary items.
- Clear kitchen and bathroom counters to be free of small appliances and personal effects.
- Remove some furniture from all rooms but especially smaller rooms.
- Paint all rooms with strong colors a neutral color.
- Remove half of your closet contents.
- Have fresh flowers on kitchen table.
- Clean all windows and mirrors.
- Keep path to all windows, furnace, appliances clear.
- Remove all signs of pets such as litter box and food dishes.
- Smokers don't smoke inside while house is for sale.
- Add color with new throw pillows.
- Have your fireplace fully operational all year.
When house is being shown to buyers:
- Leave the house.
- Turn on soft easy listening music on all floors.
- Turn lights on in every room regardless of time of day.
- Take out your pets and all signs of your pet such as litter box and dishes.
- Turn off TV unless using for music.
- Don't cook food with strong odors such as fish or garlic the day of a showing.
- Bake cookies or bread.
- In winter turn fireplace/woodstove on.
- In winter make sure all driveways, walkways and steps are totally free of ice and snow.
- In summer open windows to let in fresh air.
© Copyright Sandy and Judy Hines. All information,within this site including photos and information can only be used with written authorization from Sandy or Judy Hines. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. 2015.